Last Christmas, my mother gifted me a crock pot. Last Christmas, my mother gave me a life-changing gift.
Okay, so maybe not so drastic as “life-changing”, but it can be the lazy girl’s best friend to a hearty and healthy dinner.
And what is better in the fall than sweet potatoes? This cousin to the yam is packed with vitamin A, potassium and fiber. Plus they’re delicious. They’re subtly sweet taste goes with everything from savory dishes, like my adapted Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chicken Drumsticks, to Grandma’s traditional sweet potato pie. Their bright orange color inside color adds an eye catching vibrancy that makes you almost just want to look at your meal instead of divulge in it…almost.
I originally found a Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew recipe on eatingwell.com and added my own twist.
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chicken Drumsticks
Servings: 6 (1 chicken drumstick and 1 cup sweet potatoes)
Calories: 249, Fat: 3.3 g, Sat. Fat: 0.8 g, Carb: 33 g, Protein: 14.5 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sodium: 519 g, Potassium: 777.5 g
5 – 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
2 lb sweet potatoes, cubed
½ lb white button mushrooms, sliced
4 shallots, halved
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry white wine or white cooking wine (found next to the vinegar in the grocery store)
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or ½ tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 ½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
1. Place cubed sweet potatoes, sliced mushrooms, halved shallots, minced garlic into the crockpot.
2. Bury drumsticks into the ingredients already in the crockpot.
3. Season with rosemary, salt and pepper. Add dry white wine and white wine vinegar. Carefully stir to combine all ingredients.
4. Put lid on and cook on low for the next 4 hours. Do not lift to stir.
5. After 4 hours, check temperature of chicken (should be 165 degrees for at least 15 seconds) and sweet potato chunks should be tender.
Serve this on a busy yet cool fall or winter day. It’ll warm you up right away!